Advanced Search
Advanced Search

Actors Ichikawa Monnosuke II (R), Sawamura Sōjūrō III (C), and Ichikawa Danjūrō V as Fishermen (L)


二代目市川門之助  三代目沢村宗十郎  五代目市川団十郎
Artist unknown, Japanese
Attributed to: Katsukawa Shun'ei (Japanese, 1762–1819)
Japanese
Edo period
1777 (An'ei 6), 1st month (?)

Medium/Technique Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Dimensions Hosoban triptych; 30.9 x 41.4 cm (12 3/16 x 16 5/16 in.)
Credit Line William S. and John T. Spaulding Collection
Accession Number21.6028-30
NOT ON VIEW
ClassificationsPrints

Catalogue Raisonné Yonemura et al., Masterful Illusions (2002), #169 (R only)
DescriptionTriptych: 21.6028 (right), 21.6029 (left), 21.6030 (center)

MFA impressions: 11.18410VR (11.18410, 11.18411, 11.18968), *11.18969 (center sheet only; deaccessioned in 2012), *11.18970 (right sheet only; deaccessioned in 2012), 21.6028-30 (complete)

The scene shows the moment when the shining image of Kannon later worshipped at the temple of Sensō-ji in Asakusa was found in the net of three fishermen. The same scene is depicted in the banzuke for the 1777 production at the Ichimura Theater (00.1767). However, the casting is somewhat different. Ichikawa Danjūrō V plays the fisherman Utō (with the oar); but according to the banzuke, the actor with the net is Sakata Hangorō II, rather than Sawamura Sōjūrō III as shown here, identified by his mon. The actor with the torch is Ichikawa Yaozō II according to the banzuke, whereas in this triptych his Ichikawa crest has the character Mon of Monnosuke written inside it, although in a different script style than in other prints of Monnosuke.
Either the casting was changed, or this is a different play, or possibly it is an imaginary re-casting.

Play (jōruri): Kumo no Uwaki Chidori no Kayoiji (?)
Play (main feature): Tsukisenu Haru Hagoromo Soga
Theater: Ichimura
浄瑠理 雲浮気千鳥通路(くものうわきちどりのかよいじ)、1番目5立目
常磐春羽衣曽我(つきせぬはるはごろもそが)、4番続
市村
1777、丁酉、安永06、01・15
Signed Unsigned
無款
ProvenancePurchased by William S. and John T. Spaulding from W. L. Keane collection (lot 426); December 1, 1921, given by William S. and John T. Spaulding to the Museum.